View Single Post
Old 19th April 2020, 11:53 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Yes, the basic situation right now is that we're continuing to work on upcoming releases as though nothing untoward was happening, but there are certain parts of the process that we can't control right now.

At one end there's manufacturing and physical distribution, hence the lack of concrete and dated announcements, although June's slate is already well under way in terms of authoring. I daresay they'll announce a release date when they're certain that it can be met, possibly after everything has been physically manufactured.

And at the other end, there's the fact that we've rejigged the release schedule to prioritise projects that were already in a pretty advanced state of development (i.e. new interviews already in the can), or which only require existing extras that can be digitally pulled off the shelf.

The particular problem with the Hammer boxes is that they demand a lot of analogue archival research (i.e. physically rummaging through the vaults of the BFI National Archive and elsewhere in search of alternative cuts that haven't been digitised before) of a kind that's impossible to carry out right now, and with only a few exceptions (usually old commentaries) all the extras tend to be original productions of a kind that aren't really practical to make under lockdown conditions.

We've had one heroic case where a contributor - Kier-La Janisse for Cisco Pike - filmed herself on an iPad because we couldn't arrange for a proper camera crew, she'd already done the research and didn't fancy the piece just being ditched (quite rightly; it's superb), but it's not realistic to expect everyone to be willing or even able to do that.

So we're playing things by ear for now - but yes, there will definitely be more Hammer volumes at some point!