View Single Post
Old 27th April 2020, 09:00 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Saving Mr. Banks (2013) ★★★★

Quote:
Author P.L. Travers travels from London to Hollywood as Walt Disney Pictures adapts her novel Mary Poppins for the big screen.
I'm a huge admirer and lover of Mary Poppins (the film, that is – I haven't read any of the books) so approached this with some trepidation. I needn't have worried because it has pitch perfect performances from Emma Thompson, Tom Hanks and Colin Farrell, leading an excellent ensemble with such accomplished character actors as Paul Giamatti and Ruth Wilson.

In terms of story, telling how the film adaptation of Mary Poppins was made, I can't think of anyone better to play Walt Disney than Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson is to humanise the headstrong and 'quirky' PL Travers. Using a non-linear narrative which shows Travers' upbringing allows the film to focus on the author and her beloved creation at the same time so you understand why she's so protective of the books and the characters within them.

I was really impressed with this at the cinema and this was the first time I'd seen it since. It's definitely a film which stands up to repeated; it's just as enjoyable and moving the second time around.