View Single Post
Old 27th April 2020, 09:04 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The BFG (2016) ★★★★

Quote:
The BFG is no ordinary bone-crunching giant. He is far too nice and jumbly. It’s lucky for Sophie that he is. Had she been carried off in the middle of the night by the Bloodbottler, or any of the other giants—rather than the BFG—she would have soon become breakfast. When Sophie hears that the giants are flush-bunking off to England to swollomp a few nice little chiddlers, she decides she must stop them once and for all. And the BFG is going to help her!
A superbly realised adaptation of Roald Dahl's beloved novel, Spielberg uses motion capture animation to outstanding effect in order to bring the BFG and the other giants to life, and the casting is flawless, with Ruby Barnhill and Mark Rylance perfect as Sophie and the BFG, respectively.

The film is faithful to the source material, told in this visual form by a master storyteller who has made some great family films: E.T.the Extra-Terrestrial, Jurassic Park, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and this is nearly up there with them.

It is a lovely piece of escapist cinema which I thoroughly enjoyed at the cinema and, while watching it at home wasn't quite the same, I again found to be emotionally engaging, exciting, and funny. It's a film I hope to watch and enjoy for many years.