View Single Post
Old 15th May 2020, 09:47 PM
Cult Acolyte

More from Neighbours 2004... The Sky/Lana stuff continues to be compelling on so many levels, though Lana is more the inadvertent cause rather than the centre of it this time. Lana herself is looking a lot happier now she's out and doesn't have to hide or pretend anymore, and seems to more or less being left alone. She's also doing her level best to just see Sky as her best friend and nothing more, telling her she's been neglecting Boyd and should spend more time with him, and looking for romantic prospects elsewhere.

But just her presence is causing ripples of tension. Although Boyd seems to like Lana as a person, he's increasingly uncomfortable with how close Sky is to her, especially given she's actively choosing to spend more time with her than him these days. (When she comes round to ask him to lunch, after basically being urged to by Lana, his sarcastic response is, "Lana having the day off, is she?" Ouch!)

But he's furious when Sky blithely tells him that the gay magazine that publishes their comic strip has mistakenly outed them as a lesbian couple, particularly given that she had the chance to correct that assumption and didn't, and that she doesn't seem bothered by it. He makes a valid point that it's disrespectful to him and to Lana ("You think it's funny? Pretending to be her girlfriend when you know how she feels about you?")

Tellingly, Sky doesn't even deny it. I expected her to insist that Lana was over her crush, but she doesn't even blink at the assertion. Typically, though, Sky digs her heels in and insists he's being ridiculous, and that the idea that anyone could think she and Lana were really a couple is hilarious. And then proceeds to later look taken aback and rather discomfited when Lana tells her she's got a date with another girl, as though the idea this might happen had never occurred to her before. Oh boy. Y'know, I do think Sky honestly believes what she's saying at this point, but I also think she clearly enjoys being the sole focus of Lana's attention and is rapidly setting up camp on the lakes of a river in Egypt.

But the best line of these episodes came randomly from little Summer, excitedly telling Max what's been happening at school lately: "Lana's coming out as a lesbian... I wonder if Sky will decide she's a lesbian too?" With predictions like that, she should be writing the Horoscopes for the local paper, not Sindi!

Out of the mouths of babes...