View Single Post
Old 10th July 2020, 03:08 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
I look at it like this, £4.99 - £9.99 a month for about say 200 films worth watching across multiple streaming platforms with new ones added every month VS £15.99 to £24.99 per Blu-ray/4K release, now you buy 4 of those 4K releases at £24.99 in one shopping trip, that's nearly £100.00. If you do that twice in a month thats £200. See what I mean. Personally, I'd much prefer a physical copy of a film but Blu-ray or Physical media is niche market these days. I buy a few every couple of months depending on sales because I can't afford to pay out big amounts for full priced items, however, If i can rent the same film on Amazon prime for £2.49 then why not go that route?

I currently pay for Netflix, Disney+, Now TV sky cinema and Amazon Prime video, that comes to about £40.00 a month, which I can afford. One of the reasons I left the labs five years ago was because my media purchases screwed me over financially to no fault of my own and I ended up with about 8000 dvds/blu-rays. I would love to go to HMV or Fopp to buy movies but at the prices they sell for these days, especially the boutique labels, it's just not financially viable. I want the new Second Sight Dawn Of The Dead release but at £64.99 for the standard blu boxset, i just can't justify spending that money.

Streaming is by far the easier and cheaper option. It's just the reality of the current state of entertainment.

Maybe, but as always, once these corporations get the vast majority of people hooked into the matrix of streaming, then you'll see the prices go up. It's a classic bait and switch. Just look at the electricity companies. Your £40 pounds will one day go up £80, 90 100+