View Single Post
Old 6th August 2020, 05:56 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Black Crowes: Freak 'n' Roll... Into the Fog (2006)

Recorded live at San Francisco's Fillmore theater this is a fine example of a Crowes gig.

The first time i saw them live was at Blackburn King George's Hall in 1991. More of a curiosity at the time as American bands never played Blackburn, Lancashire.

Just like this dvd, Chris Robinson wore no footwear and the stage was fully carpeted which to someone more used to seeing the likes of Iron Maiden, Skid Row and co was quite a surprise. What was even more of a surprise (which doesn't happen during this Fillmore show) was the jam session as the whole band chilled out on said carpet for what must have been a good forty minutes basically doing whatever the **** they liked.

The problem i have with the Crowes is they don't always play the obvious songs live, or perhaps should i say they don't play what i class as my favourite songs live. So whilst we get classics like Sting Me, Jealous Again and Remedy, the band miss out Twice as Hard among others as well as my personal favourite song Sister Luck. However, joy of joys, we are treated to Rich Robinson and Marc Ford playing a five minute version of Amorica bonus track Sunday Night Buttermilk Waltz accompanied by a few inserts of the band relaxing on their tour bus. I love this fairly obscure instrumental and to see it performed live in a longer version was amazing.

The Black Crowes always were a band who did their own thing and didn't really play by the rules (Not in a badass rock n' roll way but in the way they appeared to stumble into the 90's from decades earlier) and this dvd with it's creativity in the musical department extending 19 songs into a two and a half hour show is a good example of a great rock n' roll band doing exactly what the hell they wanted
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R-1951299-1254586272.jpeg.jpg (74.4 KB, 2 views)