View Single Post
Old 9th August 2020, 06:19 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things

Children Should'nt Play With DeadThings.(1972).
There is no doubt about it,CSPWDT is strange even for the early 1970s...Bob Clark (although the credits say Benjamin) gives us quite a bizarre black comedy about a troupe of actors,lead by theatre director Alan ( played ridiculously over the top by Alan Ormsby,in fact quite a few of the cast seem to keep there own first name.) who take his cast to a deserted island, which conviently has a graveyard... The only thing more over the top than Ormsby performance is his stripey trousers complete with day glow orange shirt,and his Colonel Sanders moustache and goatee, fashion faux pas apart,I always thought this was one of the better zombie movies that was not filmed by Romero,this and Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue seemed to add a new twist to the zombie lore...In this case Alan evokes the dead by reading from a grimoire ( a kind of Book of the dead) all the gang need is a corpse, and after a practical joke involving two camp actors dressed as zombies,they decide to use Orville Dunworth (Seth Sklarey),a corpse they had dug up earlier... It can be fairly camp at time's,I mean marrying a zombie ( Probably the first same sex marriage on screen) is not what we usually get from Romero...All in all its a bizarre take on a now very familiar theme,and it fits in well with Bob Clark other odd zombie film Deathdream*(also known as*Dead of Night).Truly bonkers,with a great poster,but how the MPPA only gave this a PG rating at the time is beyond me...