View Single Post
Old 9th September 2020, 11:18 PM
Active Cultist

Moviedrome started when I was about 7 and I loved Cox's intros. I vividly remember watching An American Werewolf in London for the first time on Moviedrome. I always found them fascinating. I saw so many great films for the first time on it. Assault on Precinct 13 (which traumatised me for a while after), Talk Radio, Alligator and Q The Winged Serpent on a double bill, so many films I still love today. I remember being surprised though that The Terminator was the TV Version. Cousins I liked but I felt a lot of the films were pretty mainstream like Scarface, The Fly, Carlito's Way. Although I saw La Haine for the first time there and my mate was buzzing about it the next day at school. White of the Eye I remember as well. The later series with Cousins I didn't like as much because of their style. It felt like he was making it up there and then. But I remember weekends on BBC 2 and Channel 4 were so much better then. Film seasons and specials were the highlight of my youth. I loved the Censored weekends on both 2 and 4 and it just feels like that has all went away. Filmfour was so much better then too. They showed films every night of the week that I actually wanted to watch. I remember loving the Ferrara, Cronenberg and Carpenter seasons, the fact that most films were in their original ratio long before it was the norm and wherever possible uncut. The amount of films that have never been seen on TV since it went free and with adverts like Seul Contre Tous, In The Realm of The Senses, Sombre, Romance and Together that were groundbreaking in the level of explicitness that was first shown on TV is something I really miss. And there was the Kurosawa season introduced by Alex Cox.