View Single Post
Old 10th September 2020, 10:28 PM
Cult Addict

Got this the other day.
When i saw it i felt i owed it to my inner teenage Goth.

download (39).jpeg

Haven't actually got round to reading much but had a flick through, the main focus seems to be on Bauhaus, The Cure, Siouxsie and the Banshees with a side dose of The Mission and Sisters of mercy. Which is fine up to a point.

Other bands appear but Nephilim are sidelined and there is no article on early Cult stuff which i would have thought would be mandatory. Its ok but looked more impressive than it turned out to be.
Also no Damned, and yes i know they were more punk but they definitely had a goth phase.

I was kind of a second generation Goth, it was about 86 onwards so i'd missed the heyday but there was enough still going on to fuel the fire.

Of most interest though is that it has a listing of 100 essential goth songs, a lot of them i've never even heard.
It looks like they've basically taken one song from each band, so it's quite interesting as a pointer to other bands i am not familiar with.

I was aware of about 40ish bands listed.

I've spent the night listening to the first 20 songs listed and have liked quite a few, so i'm gonna go through the list bit by bit and indulge in a trip back to vibes of my misspent youth.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.