View Single Post
Old 25th September 2020, 05:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Some TV shows I've recently watched:

Making a Murderer: Season 2 – I won't see too much about this case there are people who want to watch it and aren't aware of what has happened to the people involved. I found some aspects of the first season, particularly Brendan Dassey's interrogation, troubling and the questions raised in this season have done nothing to alleviate those feelings. I found it compelling viewing and wish I saw it when it was first put on to Netflix.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: Season 14 – although there are several funny moments throughout this season, I can't help but feel it's a show which is a few years past its peak and would be better off being cancelled before it becomes dull and where the laughs and humorous set is too infrequent for it show which is guaranteed to be funny and satirically irreverent.

The Walking Dead: Season Eight – the season leading to 'all out war' between Rick and Negan has a really interesting non-linear narrative which makes it a bit more demanding of your attention than previous seasons. There are moments of high emotion, the times when you feel your heart sinking or even saying "no!" at the TV!

Staged – I watched this when it was first on iPlayer and they now have longer episodes on Netflix. I think it works better in the long form because the interactions between all the 'characters' (with Martin Sheen and David Tennant playing exaggerated versions of themselves) carry more weight and become even funnier when they are more fully developed and more time is spent on the various plot threads.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine: Season 7 – this is a bit like It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia because the first few seasons were often laugh-out-loud funny, but the past couple of seasons have become a bit flat and occasionally grating, with the humour becoming less frequent and far from guaranteed.

Cobra Kai – another show I wish I'd watched long ago. It's brilliant how they have managed to get the principal actors from the Karate Kid films to appear in this TV show and basically repeat the Karate Kid montages and lessons. There are times when it has a clichéd soap opera feel, but this isn't something which makes it less watchable because it's something I found very easy to binge watch and very difficult to stop watching late at night. Bring on season three!

Ratched – this was suggested by the Netflix algorithm after Cobra Kai finished, and the programming getting as me very well because the show, developed by the man behind American Horror Story, is to One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest what Bates Motel is to Psycho. Sarah Paulson is a terrific actor and this has the same vibe and feel as American Horror Story. I was sad when it finished and am eagerly anticipating the next season.

Des – I watched the three episodes of this last night without any knowledge of Dennis Nilsen's life and crimes. It's an engrossing and occasionally blackly comic piece of television because the things which Nielsen says are so outrageous and blackly humorous they are both disturbing and funny. It's the sort of thing which made me laugh and then think 'Hang on a minute, that's not really funny', feeling a bit guilty for my initial reaction. I want to watch the David Tennant-narrated documentary on Nilsen because I've seen a little bit which gave me an even greater appreciation of how good Tennant's portrayal of the serial killer is.
I’m surprised you know nothing of Nilsens crimes .