View Single Post
Old 29th September 2020, 04:51 PM
Cult Master

Although it was written in 1965, and touted as a follow up single to 'My Generation', 'Magic Bus' was not actually recorded and released until October 1968

With its Bo Diddley beat and room for guitar improvisation, Pete loved the song. John, however, anchored to a chugging 'A' chord, hated it. There wasn't a lot of opportunity for Keith either, tapping away on his little wooden clave blocks while Pete and Roger traded lines about buying the magic bus for 'one hundred of your English pounds'!

The 'B'-side of the single had already been released - the UK had 'Dr Jekyl And Mr. Hyde', which had been released as the flip to 'Dogs' in the US, while the US had 'Someones Coming' which the UK had on the 'I Can See For Miles' single release

At the same time as the single, the band also released their first compilation albums. In September 1968, 'Magic Bus: The Who On Tour' was released in the US and Canada

Members of the group, and Pete in particular, have frequently expressed their dislike of this release

The somewhat deceptive title implied that the songs had been recorded live, but all the recordings were from the studio. The track list duplicates a few songs from the second and third US albums, but also contains single and EP tracks that were previously unavailable on a US album

Track listing:
Side 1:
Disguises
Run Run Run
Dr. Jekyll And Mr. Hyde
I Can't Reach You
Our Love Was, Is
Call Me Lightning

Side 2:
Magic Bus
Someone's Coming
Doctor, Doctor
Bucket T.
Pictures Of Lily

In the UK, the compilation album 'Direct Hits' was released in October 1968.

It contains singles, 'B'-sides, and album tracks that were originally recorded for Reaction Records and Track Records between 1966 and 1968. Earlier recordings, such as 'My Generation', were released on the Brunswick label and were therefore not available for inclusion on the record making 'Direct Hits' very unrepresentative of The Who's work up to that point!

Track listing:

Side 1:
Bucket 'T'
I'm A Boy
Pictures Of Lily
Doctor! Doctor!
I Can See For Miles
Substitute

Side 2:
Happy Jack
The Last Time
In The City