View Single Post
Old 2nd October 2020, 02:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Ha ha, very true Susan although I actually quite enjoyed 'Wrestlemaniac', despite it being indisputably daft and probably a bit feeble.

Well folks, onwards and downwards into this afternoon's delve inside my magical cupboard. Note - it's only magical if your idea of magic is a load of random DVDs that haven't been played in years interspersed with things too encrusted with time's foul passing to ever even contemplate. Honestly, moving is a right hassle, all the junk. I should be on a channel four, or more likely five, program with all the shite I have piled around me. These COVID era face masks are proving quite useful.

It did feel a bit weird watching this just after midday, but anyway -

DEVIL STORY – This oddity from mid-eighties France baffles on an ‘Ogroff’-worrying level. It’s hard to pinpoint what it’s about or even what happens, but I can tell you that there’s a guy in a monster mask, some dead campers, a murky chateau in the rain and a mummy that comes out of the ship buried in the side of a mountain. Yeah, the ship buried in the side of a mountain; ‘Just like that,’ as dear old Tommy Cooper used to say. Most of it, though, seems to concern an irate elderly guy’s attempts to shoot a horse in the French countryside. We see a lot of that. We see him loading and firing that shotgun so many times that it almost becomes a movie within a movie, and a scarily infinite one at that. And the horse, the horse gets a lot of screen-time, constantly whinnying. It must have done something really bad. ‘The Devil’s Story’ is probably a bit like what happens behind the fluttering eyelids of a sleepwalker. Its characters wander in a landscape bereft of meaning, their actions reduced to something that approaches physical comedy minus the comedy. If Becket had been a youngish horror nerd in mid-eighties France, doubtless ‘Devil Story’ would have been his gift to the world in lieu of ‘Waiting for Godot’. Mmm, speaking of, Hallowe’en seems quite a way off, somehow.