View Single Post
Old 12th October 2020, 03:57 PM
Cult Master

In 2003, an expanded deluxe edition of 'Tommy' was released

The first CD was the entire album, while the second CD contained some new song, alternate versions and outtakes

Christmas (outtake 3) is an instrumental outtake from late 1968 or early 1969
Cousin Kevin Model Child is a new song written by Pete. It was originally intended to go between 'Fiddle About' and 'Cousin Kevin when they were next to each other in an early listing for the album. It was ultimately dropped when a change in the song order separated them
Young Man Blues had been a part of the live show since 1964. This studio version was recorded to be shoehorned somewhere into Tommy. It was eventually dropped after all attempts to give it a meaning in the story failed. A cover song, it was originally recorded by Mose Allison in 1957
Tommy Can You Hear Me? (Alternate version) is another instrumental outtake
Trying To Get Through is another outtake from the album
Sally Simpson outtakes is the band having fun while trying to record the song
Miss Simpson ia another 'Sally Simpson' demo, recorded under the songs original title
Welcome (take 2) is another instrumental version
Tommy's Holiday Camp (Band's version) is an instrumental version of the song featuring both John and Keith who were missing on the released album version
We're Not Gonna Take It (Alternate version) is Pete's original demo version
Dogs Part II was nothing to do with 'Tommy'. Instead, it was the 'B'-side to the 'Pinball Wizard' single. This is a power packed instrumental jam led from the front, back and sides by Keith doing what he does best - hitting the drums! Keith, John and Pete all take solos in a frenzied garage-band style rave up. It's probably the nearest thing to a Keith drum solo in the bands entire catalogue. The song is credited to Moon, Towser and Jason - the latter two being dogs belonging to John and Pete who provided backing vocals!
The last five songs on the second disc contain 5:1 mixes of It's a Boy / Amazing Journey / Christmas / Do You Think It's Alright and Pinball Wizard

The Who promoted the album's release with an extensive tour, showcasing a live version of Tommy. This lasted throughout 1969 and 1970 and featured many key gigs including:

Woodstock was held on August 15–18, 1969, on Max Yasgur's farm in Bethel, New York. The Who were scheduled to appear as the second to last act (before Jefferson Airplane) on Saturday, August 16th. When they actually started playing, however, it was actually around 5:00am on Sunday morning. This meant that the 'See Me, Feel Me' finale of 'Tommy' coincided with the arrival of dawn, and the first rays of daylight hitting the stage

Following 'Pinball Wizard', political activist Abbie Hoffman interrupted the performance and attempted to speak against the jailing of counter-culture poet John Sinclair of the White Panther Party. Pete's response was expected!

Hoffman grabbed a microphone and yelled, 'I think this is a pile of shit while John Sinclair rots in prison ...'. At the time, Pete was adjusting his amplifier between songs. He looked at Hoffman and shouted '**** off! **** off my ****ing stage!' and reportedly hit him with his guitar although Pete later denied attacking Hoffman

Sadly the camera crew were "changing the film", so we only have the audio of this incident and no visuals

The setlist for the Woodstock performance was as follows:
Heaven and Hell / I Can't Explain / It's a Boy / 1921 / Amazing Journey / Sparks / The Hawker / Christmas / The Acid Queen / Pinball Wizard / Do You Think It's Alright? / Fiddle About / There's a Doctor / Go to the Mirror! / Smash the Mirror / I'm Free / Tommy's Holiday Camp / We're Not Gonna Take It / Summertime Blues / Shakin' All Over / My Generation / Naked Eye
A documentary featuing highlights from the festival, including 'We're Not Gonna Take It' / 'See Me, Feel Me' and 'Summertime Blues' are available on DVD...

...and the full Who set is available on CD

The Isle Of Wight Festival was held at Wootton, midway between Ryde and Newport, two weeks later, between 29–31 August 1969. The Who appeared on August 30th, again coming on stage in the early hours

The setlist for The Isle Of Wight Festival was:

Heaven and Hell / I Can't Explain / Fortune Teller / Young Man Blues / Tommy: [It's a Boy / 1921 / Amazing Journey / Sparks / Eyesight to the Blind / Christmas / The Acid Queen / Pinball Wizard / Do You Think It's Alright? / Fiddle About / There's a Doctor / Go to the Mirror! / Smash the Mirror / I'm Free / Tommy's Holiday Camp / We're Not Gonna Take It] / Summertime Blues / Shakin' All Over / My Generation / Naked Eye

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty