View Single Post
Old 27th October 2020, 08:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night (2014)

I've never seen an Iranian film before but somehow I don't think that this is representative of the country's normal output.

This dreamlike almost plotless film made me think of Jean Rollin. Almost existential and definitely fantastique in equal measures. In fact the scene with Sheila Vand as The Girl on a skateboard, her chador flapping behind her made me think instantly of Brigitte Lahaie in Fascination walking towards the camera scythe in hand and cape swirling in the wind. I'm probably alone in that thought.

Really not much happens, a girl who we quickly learn is a vampire preys on men who treat women badly. She meets Arash and falls for him, but can't reveal her secret life to him. That being said I was hooked and couldn't take my eyes off the screen. It helps that our two leads are impossibly beautiful to look at, both the girl and Arash. Also the photography is gorgeous and the often shallow focus makes the viewer concentrate on the centre of the screen with the blurred edges adding to the dream.

This is one of the more interesting films I've seen during my horror film marathon this year, and there is certainly a lot to think about, I think I might schedule a re-watch shortly.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky