View Single Post
Old 19th November 2020, 08:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Sorry because this is another negative review (I usually feel more compelled to share thoughts about dodgy viewing experiences).

Game of Death (1978).

I've owned the UK Bruce Lee blu-ray boxset for quite a while but had put off revisiting this fifth film in the set. Sadly it's every bit as bad as I could recall, the passing of time certainly hasn't made it any better.

You're not really sure what they were attempting to accomplish here: whether it was cinematic grave robbing or some sort of tribute. Including actual footage of Lee's funeral as part of the plotline certainly seems to be in bad taste.

It's incredibly inept almost throughout. The classic moment is when you see a cardboard cutout of Bruce Lee's face pasted onto a mirror. The effect does not convince! Hard to believe that this was helmed by the same director as Enter The Dragon.

As I'm sure most here will know, Bruce Lee hardly appears in the movie and quite often, when you do see him, the footage comes from previously released films (and usually very clumsily edited in).

The blu-ray has 39 minutes of excellent footage (standard definition) from the original postponed 1972 shoot which manages to make it worth keeping. But I have put it inside a two disc case alongside Enter The Dragon as it doesn't deserve it's own place on the shelves.

I listened to ten minutes of the Bey Logan commentary out of curiosity. He states that Game of Death was the first Bruce Lee film that he saw. It's probably remarkable that it didn't put him off from seeing the other (classic) films.

Terrible film.