View Single Post
Old 23rd November 2020, 08:10 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
The Lighthouse (2019) ★★★★★

In the 1890s, two lighthouse keepers are alone on an unnamed and mysterious island in New England. One of them (Willem Defoe) is a grizzled veteran 'wickie' who is joined for a month by someone new to the profession (Robert Pattinson). When a storm hits and they are stranded on the island, alcohol consumption increases, tempers fray, and the line between reality and fantasy becomes blurred.

I thought Robert Eggers had peaked with his astonishingly good debut, The Witch, but it seems he has hit pay dirt again with this compelling and disturbingly claustrophobic follow-up.

Willem Defoe delivers one of the best performances of his long and distinguished career while Robert Pattinson seems to be channelling Daniel Day Lewis for a powerhouse acting display which should silence his naysayers.

Shot in stark monochrome in the unusual 1.19:1 aspect ratio and with a complex and thoughtful screenplay, this delivers on aesthetic, emotional, and intellectual levels. As he showed with The Witch, Eggers again created a completely convincing period setting – the costumes, make-up, and production design are phenomenally good – and the dialogue between the two men could have been written by Edgar Allen Poe.

It's a film I intend to revisit soon (I streamed this on Now TV and ordered the Blu-ray the next day) and will watch many times to understand the sociological, mythological, and philosophical themes.

I adore The Witch so i can't really put into words how disappointed i was with The Lighthouse. Everything was there for perfection. But it was just pointless. And headache inducing. It wasn't the aspect ratio, the B&W photography, the 2 man cast or any of the things your average amazon reviewer would whine about. It was just that it was pointless. With a droning painful soundtrack.