View Single Post
Old 14th January 2021, 12:11 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Robin and Marian (1976) ★★★★

A very different Robin Hood film to others I've seen, one with a more sombre and melancholy tone than the likes of The Adventures of Robin Hood, Tales of Robin Hood, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves and, perhaps obviously, Disney's animated Robin Hood film and Mel Brooks' Robin Hood: Men in Tights.

The title is fitting because, aside from David Watkin's superb cinematography and John Barry's excellent score, the film succeeds because of the splendid performances from Sean Connery and Audrey Hepburn. Like their characters, they are (or should be) in the autumn of their careers, no longer virile and sexy stars, but mature adults who really look as if they love one another.

I only saw this because it was released as part of the Premium Collection; I'm glad HMV shows it to be part of that series.

Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan, Lord of the Apes (1984) ★★★½

A film which is, on a technical level, extremely accomplished and one which features excellent performances from Ian Holm and Ralph Richardson.

As spectacle goes, it's a Tarzan film lacking in adventure or excitement. It really needed an action sequence to quicken the pulse in the third act, similar to 2016's The Legend of Tarzan, though perhaps as a finale rather than half the film.