View Single Post
Old 23rd January 2021, 01:44 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Well the end has arrived.

I've finally watched the last Doctor Who dvd i bought from the classic series (Not including animations).

Although i bought it a few years ago (Feb 2016 to be precise according to Amazon) i saved the last few to watch over recent Christmases. I think i'd saved Vengeance on Varos for Christmas 2019.

So The Visitation was it, and what a brilliant way to come to an end. An excellent story, but it was the dvd extras that really made this a special edition to me.

Doctor Forever – The Apocalypse Element which looked at the work of those who kept Doctor Who alive in the form of audio adventures following the TV’s show’s cancellation in 1989. With actors Colin Baker, William Russell and Lisa Bowerman, new series executive producer Russell T Davies and various Big Finish bods like Gary Russell, Nick Briggs as well as writers such as Gattis, Shearman and Cornell.

Very enjoyable, these guys really pulled out all the stops to ensure Doctor Who wouldn't be forgotten following the hiatus.

The Television Centre of the Universe – Part One - Yvette Fielding takes Peter Davison, Mark Strickson and Janet Fielding on a trip through BBC Television Centre in this half hour doc. The four basically go in, walk around, go into dressing rooms and make up rooms and warmly reminisce on what it was like back in the day. There's a real charm to it all and Yvette Fielding was an excellent guide, so much so that she felt like one of the TARDIS team during the Davison era. I enjoyed this so much i'm going to dig out The Underwater Menace dvd and watch part 2. I'm not even sure i saw part 2 as The Underwater Menace itself was such a struggle to get through.

Grim Tales - A 45 minute making of The Visitation...with a difference. Peter Davison, Janet Fielding and Sarah Sutton are taken on a trip back to the filming locations used in the story by fellow TARDIS travelling companion Mark Strickson (Turlough). Again this was charming and quite brilliant. The four get on wonderfully well and there's so much banter going on (Yes, some at the expense of Matthew Waterhouse). I suppose it helps that Davison and co are probably my favourite TARDIS family and were 'my' Doctor and companions in that Baker into Davison was the first regeneration i saw and i felt like part of the family.

Mark Strickson, Sarah Sutton, Peter Davison and Janet Fielding as seen in Grim Tales.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00017 (Medium).jpg (86.3 KB, 44 views)