View Single Post
Old 20th February 2021, 02:22 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

220px-Host_(film).jpg

Everyone is going off their heads with lockdown across the world and so in these difficult times what do we do? Go on zoom and do an online séance of course. Six friends get together for a bit of fun and get a medium to host a séance but before it starts they are asked to take it serious and not to insult the medium but of course there always has to be one on a group that has to be the joker or asshole which ever way you want to look at it. After annoying the spirits one actually sticks around and the girls fun times turns into a nightmare.

Im not usually a fan of these types if films but i really enjoyed this one. Its a really cool idea with the times we are living in. It has a realistic look with the girls dressed like real people are in lockdown no make up wearing PJs or track bottoms lazing about drinking up for anything cause they are bored so they managed to make it believable from that point of view. The banter between the friends felt natural for the most part and at times it didn't feel like acting it just felt like they were hanging out. I will say most of the characters were fine but Jemma character i really didn't like she was annoying and laughing at stupid times and it kind of took me out of the moment the Caroline character was the one i fell did the best job her reactions felt real and she came across genuinely nervous before the séance even started and the little bit of banter between her and her dad at the start added to the natural feel to her character.

Once things start to go pear shaped there were some really great creepy moments and i was so hopeful that we were not going down the cheap jump scare route and it almost avoided it until the last few minutes and that almost ruined the film so me its so easy to go down that route and i hate it it just cheapens what has come before. I know all horror has the jumping cat or something like that but the whole jumping into the camera scares are they ones i hate the most. That aside i had fun with this there is a couple of shaky camera moments but when something is happening its clear to see whats happening not hidden behind the shaky cam sections.

Definitely worth a watch and at only 56 minutes it really doesn't overstay its welcome so maybe that helped my enjoyment of it.

6/10