View Single Post
Old 17th March 2021, 10:28 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Withnail and I (1987)

I always seem to watch Withnail and I around this time of year. Same goes for Easy Rider, Dazed and Confused and one or two other classics.

This year it seemed so scarily realistic and for a film from 1987 so 2021. There's the ill judged stay-cation in the Lakes, the claustrophobia on said stay-cation and of course the over reliance on booze to get us through the bad times, but it remains an ever watchable and ever more quotable classic slice of British comedy.

Leads Paul McGann and especially Richard E Grant (Withnail) have never been better and i can't take my eyes off them throughout the hundred and odd minutes. I must also mention a bit part for Daragh O' Malley. An actor i spent last summer with during a complete run through of Sharpe. O' Malley pops up here as an Irish ruffian in a pub who takes an instant dislike to McGann's (unnamed) Marwood, causing the guys to do a runner double quick, which in turn brings me back to lockdown and staying home.

So i'll leave you with the exasperated Withnail as he declares in a rather pissed off fashion to a Lake District farmer "We've gone on holiday by mistake". Far safer to stay home and drink the lighter fluid boys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 411SbHpWmfL._AC_.jpg (25.6 KB, 2 views)