View Single Post
Old 23rd March 2021, 06:21 AM
Cult Master

Alice talks about his appearance on 'The Muppet Show' at Ultimate Guitar

""It was the most fun thing I ever did. First of all, you spend a week in London, and you're working, again, with Hanson and all the originals.

"The amazing thing is this - when they offered it to me, it was the No. 1 show in the world, and I had just established myself as America's villain-ghoul kind of character.

"And it was, 'Oh, man, I want to do this show, but I don't want to water down Alice Cooper, the character... Who was on the show recently?' They said, 'Christopher Lee, Vincent Price...'

"I said, 'I'm in!' Because if those two guys can be on that show, I can be on that show - I don't measure up to them.

"So, doing the show after about three days of rehearsal, you are talking to the Muppets like they're people, and you don't even realize it.

"I'm telling Miss Piggy, 'Hey, it would be a great idea if you put your head on my shoulder during this thing.' 'Oh, good idea, let's do that.'

"You're literally talking to them, and they're responding, and you're buying into it, you totally buy into the world of the Muppets because when they're doing the rehearsals and all this.

"They keep it going through the whole thing, and I honestly had the most fun ever during that show.

"And on my birthday, every birthday I get a little porcelain Muppet, and that was from 1978, '77, I still get the porcelain Muppets."

"So well-written, it was so well-written. Very, very funny. Kids could love it, but adults, of course, I played the Faust character, trying to get Kermit to sell his soul, and it was hysterical.

"The writing was terrific on it, and we spent most of our time laughing, just trying to keep a straight face while we're doing this.

"So yeah, I'm a huge Muppet fan, and I was so glad to see it's back on. To me, I just went, 'Oh, this is great!'""

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty