View Single Post
Old 24th March 2021, 08:50 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trashforcash View Post
This is just a real shame. I know I always go on about arrow releases not being what they were, but it's sad to see them in trouble. The pandemic + competition clearly has them on the ropes. It seems unfair given the fact they pretty much invented the collectors blu ray market.

It will be interesting to see which way it swings. Will the grungier arrow video prevail or will the academy style win out?

In my view Arrow Video and Academy are incompatible. They are aimed at totally different markets. If the video market is niche, the academy market is ultra niche. I own about 80% of the stuff Video put out, but only ever bought two Academy releases: Demonlover and les Diabolique. They were the only two I ever saw having "Video-esque" appeal.

Overall, it would be tragic if arrow went bust as...

Indicator and Eureka= arthouse at heart with token cult horror releases occasionally

101 films= some good stuff (Phase 4 anyone?). But some terrible stuff as well (screamers). Release very infrequently.

88 Films= some good stuff (looking forward to Humanoids) but have serious quality control problems (still cant unsee Slaughterhouse rock).

Vinegar syndrome = fun but cripplingly expensive.

Second sight= good quality but very mainstream (not sure why I bought the strangers... again)

Arrow were the originators and all round the best at what they do. It will be tragic if they fold, but I think it's going that way.

I'm gonna up my arrow purchasing to support them. But not Battle chuffing Royale.
While i sympathise with any company struggling its hard to ignore the fact that Arrow have continued to insist on moving away from what made them a success in the first place. They built up a succesful label on one target audience and once they'd got somewhere started to try being something else and appealing to a different audience. Largely neglecting the fans that loyally bought their earlier stuff regardless of the occasional blips in qc.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk