View Single Post
Old 26th May 2008, 11:43 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipco View Post
I know it stood no chance of getting past the BBFC with out heavy cutting atleast.
What I ment was the BBFC 'delayed' classifying this film until the reading of the bill for their own reasons.
To say it was pure timing is like saying LH Oswald shot JFK, or Roswell is just an Airforce base with no alien's in it.
IMO the film was delayed then banned at the right time.
Any reason for a delay is easily covered by the 'we're trying to cut it'excuse then the papers get to hear about it (i wonder how ?) and report how are moral gardians are apt at doing the job in hand.

Please dont take this as me ranting, or having ago at your post Angel, Im just saying my own beliefs and am in no way dissing yours.

What is the big deal about the BBFC with naked people, they allow them to do dirty things to each other on film and thats ok, but as soon as somebody kills one it becomes a problem.
Maybe if they weren't nude they wouldn't get killed in the first place.
There's no evidence that the BBFC ever delayed their decision regarding MSP, the reason why it took so long to classify/reject was because it was a very difficult film. Every film has to be examined very carefully, a lot of discussions will be held amongst senior examiners in regards to the possibilty of cuts. I can imagine this part especially would have taken a long time regarding this film. If this films classification was delayed it would suggest that after making their decision the BBFC then waited for the right time to ban the film in question. I very much doubt that was the case but only the BBFC can possibly answer this question. The BBFC would have nothing to gain by waiting for this Bill and then banning it. Parliament already knows exactly where the BBFC stand as their Annual Reports are submitted to them every year and they can see that the BBFC ban films from time to time. So this would have been no big deal.

The BBFC often cut rape scenes or scenes of sexualised violence because of the lingering focus on nudity which can cause a "harmful" response in some viewers eg I Spit on Your Grave, Tombs of the Blind Dead, Ichi the Killer, House on the Edge of the Park, Scrapbook etc. Cuts required under the VRA.