View Single Post
Old 11th May 2021, 09:47 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
You’re 2nd person to say they watched basking recently, funnily enough I started watching it other night but something cropped up so I only got half way through I’ll finish it off tonight .
Here's what i said about it three years ago.

Quote:
Baskin (2015)

A group of cops receive a distress call, upon investigating the call things become truly weird in an horrific descent into hell.

An interesting and very bloody horror film from Turkey. Whilst the first half sets the scene it feels like an elongated 'get to know you' affair as we get to see the cops as they basically talk. A lot. It even apes the Goodfellas "Funny like a clown" scene at one point. It's when the officers get the distress call that things take a turn for the bizarre.

What follows is a truly grim forty minutes of nightmarish sequences as the cops investigate a deserted police station and all hell breaks loose, quite literally. It benefits not coming out of the Hollywood system as it's far sicker than the usual horror movies doing the rounds. It's supremely atmospheric and utterly downbeat as well. I won't go into it any more as i don't want to spoil things should people choose to buy the Severin released dvd or blu-ray.

I liked Baskin. It's not perfect by any means but it does show ambition and should be welcomed with open (hacked off) arms by fans of Hellraiser and such like.