View Single Post
Old 4th June 2021, 06:16 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Django (1966)

Django...
After the Dollars trilogy, this has to be my of favourite Italian westerns,(lets be honest there are bloody hundreds of great Spaghetti westerns so that's a big ask )....In fact it almost out Spaghetti Leone's westerns, but falls at the last hurdle due to some rather dodgy stereotypical characters (but hey they were every where at the time, "We don't need no stinkin' badges!")....The driving force of the film is undoubtedly Franco Nero portrayal of Django, slightly more charismatic than Eastwoods character and not averse to a bit of romance either, in between machine gunning half the population, with his coffin encased Gatling gun...There is little back story to his character apart from the fact he is dressed in Union cavalry uniform and likes dragging his coffin through one of the muddiest westerns you have ever seen (the only others I can think of is Paint Your Wagon and I think McCabe and Mrs Miller,Im sure there are loads more )...And this is the other reason it stands out as precious little time is spent in the blazing desert but a rather muddy run down town, full of muddy run down towns folks and prostitutes.... Its violent, and at times unintentionally humorous, but also pretty grim in its violence and at times has some rather despicable characters in the shape of Major Jackson, and his gang of white supremacist...Sergio Corbucci has made so many great westerns, only the The Great Silence comes close to equalling Django in its intensity and bouts of doom laden violence....(and that theme song,sung by Rocky Roberts is pure cheesey gold...)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00002.jpg (87.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00008.jpg (89.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00009.jpg (94.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00004.jpg (96.7 KB, 1 views)