View Single Post
Old 13th June 2021, 09:52 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
That's one of the films that we had at the cinema when I was working there!

The target audience [pre-teens] loved it, and every time Michael Jackson appeared on the screen they would scream their little heads off. For the adults in the audience, however, it didn't really have the same effect, and when the screening had finished, numerous people were queuing at the box office, trying to get their money back, and more than one came up to me and said: "what time does the actual film start?"
That is really interesting, granted the excellent cover does have the tag line, a movie like no other but I'm guessing it's missing the point.

All it needed was a basic plot, it didn't need to have the greatest script or acting in the world, just Michael acting and singing. IT WAS A LICENCE TO PRINT MONEY.

If I remember correctly it was released in Cinemas at Christmas 88 and there was no Internet and the only reviews would in Papers/Magazines/TV and Radio so I'm wondering if it had a strong opening attendance but had a sudden drop within a couple of weeks?

If I was working in a Cinema at that time, I would have been imaging this to be one of the big hitters and a nightmare to deal with.