View Single Post
Old 14th June 2021, 05:55 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
If I remember correctly it was released in Cinemas at Christmas 88 and there was no Internet and the only reviews would in Papers/Magazines/TV and Radio so I'm wondering if it had a strong opening attendance but had a sudden drop within a couple of weeks?
To be honest, I don't remember a lot of things like that. I *think* it was a holiday period when we had the film, and that it was a daily matinee performance showing

Unlike the cinemas of today, the one I worked in was only a single screen theatre. It was also the only cinema in Gosport so (unless it was a big movie event like a Bond or Speilberg film, or a Disney release) we tended to get a new film on a weekly basis

Occasionally, if a film that was booked for a single week did well, we would extend its run for a second week, and sometimes a film would return later in the year / the following year

With 'Moonwalker' I do remember that a few weeks / months after it had gone we started to advertise a future presentation, which was the Cher / Nicolas Cage film 'Moonstruck', and a lot of members of the public (and some staff) mistook it for the Michael Jackson film, and started complaining most vocally!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty