Thread: War Films
View Single Post
Old 14th June 2021, 03:08 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Val Con

For some reason I seem to have gone all fascist, I watched Valkyrie (2008) and Conspiracy (2001) for know other reason than it seemed too happen that way,one minute your perfectly normal next minute I'm goose stepping and planning to invade Poland (it's only fair they have all our car washes)..... Interesting they share quite a few of the same cast, including Kenneth Branagh, Kevin McNally and Ian McNeice , who are all excellent,in both...The difference being is Valkyrie deals with the over throw of Hitler and the SS by a group lead by Tom Cruise as Colonel Claus Schenk Graf von Stauffenberg... Conspiracy deals with a meeting which took took place in 1942*Wannsee Conference .... Conspiracy was based on actual transcripts of the meeting and is pretty chilling in its mater of fact way they come to the Final Solution.... Neither film is a barrel of laughs for obvious reasons, (I've probably watched to many episodes of Allo Allo and Dad's Army,which accounts for my flippancy) .Valkyrie has more action, that said they could of tried harder (to kill Hitler that is) ,and Conspiracy is very matter of fact, and basically shows what a bunch of bastard's every body involved were...Both are superbly acted and both shine a light on a very little known part of history,I mean I grew up watching Kelly's Heroes and The Dirty Dozen,and it wasn't until I bought Dad the World at War series many years ago that I got the enormity of the Holocaust,this was well before the release of Schindler's List...