View Single Post
Old 4th September 2021, 03:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Nothing Left to Fear (2013)

A new pastor and his family move to a small Kansas town to take over the running of the church from the retiring Clancy Brown

Definitely a slo-burn horror film in which nothing much of note really happens for half an hour but thankfully the acting and characters are more than watchable. Anne Heche is a little underused but Clancy Brown is always worth a watch, however it's the younger stars - Rebekah Brandes, Jennifer Stone and Ethan Peck who keep the film ticking along throughout.

Perhaps many would see this as a typical supernatural film which has been done to death during the last fifteen years or so and i can appreciate that, but i kinda enjoyed it. I'm not opposed to snail paced horror when it's done right and for me this was done right. I really liked the undertones of folk horror mixed with the urban legend of Stull, Kansas, being one of the seven gateways to hell and i thought it had a nice foreboding atmosphere throughout.

There's some tasty imagery along the way such as a flock of undead sheep (That should make you want to watch, how many films have flocks of undead sheep?) that doesn't really rely on typical jump scares (Although there are some) until we get to a wild finale of demonic possession and the opening of the gate to hell.
I felt the same when I watched this, slow burn horror that played out well with the acting and the urban legend back story.