View Single Post
Old 13th October 2021, 03:55 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default October 12th

Hellraiser III Hell on Earth (1992)

Deep Space 9's Terry Farrell takes the lead in this third film in the series (Sigh: definitely reason enough for me to enjoy this film)

Whilst not as good as the first two films in the series, Hell on Earth is still an enjoyable watch. The ante has been upped when it comes to action sequences with a couple of terrific set pieces in a night club and on the streets of New York. It takes a while to see Pinhead but there's gore galore throughout including a young woman losing all her skin to the devilish chains that haunt this inspired series of films.

Despite Pinhead taking a while to show up in the flesh so to speak, this film gives Doug Bradley more screen time than any of the first two films and he makes the most of it with a fine performance that is both arch villain and blackly comedic too.

Don't Let Them In (2020)

After watching this for the first time last year i was eager to see if it stood up second time around and it does. Its a British low budgeter about a couple of social workers who on Halloween visit an old hotel to see their client recently released from prison on a charge of child murder.

This takes it's time to set the scene but the acting and dialogue is good. I suppose those who want to bracket a movie will say it's Purge like but for me Ben Wheatley's Kill List is as much of a reference point in the way the plot twists and turns and basically morphs into a totally different movie about ritualistic murder during the final twenty minutes.

As a movie from a first time director it's remarkably competent and will become a regular Halloween / October viewing.