View Single Post
Old 4th November 2021, 03:04 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
To be honest i also think it's a horror comedy. I just wanted to say something in my review that perhaps wasn't the same as every other review that has been typed on here about An American Werewolf in London.

We all know it's a fantastic slice of classic horror with a vicious streak of humour running through it, great effects work, See You Next Wednesday, etc, etc, etc.

However unlike J's association with The Evil Dead, that i don't see. The Evil Dead is slapstick comedy with demons. There's nobody in AAWIL who gurns and pulls faces like Campbell does in those films and not once have i ever thought of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre as a horror comedy.

It's sequels maybe but not the original, no way.

People will be saying The Exorcist just takes the piss next.

However my review has brought up discussion so that's cool.
I was reading an article about Edgar Wright and Return of the Living Dead that made me think of this discussion. When creating Shaun of the Dead, Wright and Simon looked at the template of An American Werewolf in London and decided that, like in John Landis's film, "The threat is real. But we happen to be following two characters who are funny.”.

The whole piece is worth a read.
https://www.dreadcentral.com/news/41...e-living-dead/