View Single Post
Old 30th November 2021, 10:29 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Krampus (2015)

Three days before Christmas young Max's dysfunctional family gather for their usual holiday arguments and put downs which depresses Max so much he unwittingly summons the Krampus, a horned demonic figure from Alpine folklore who visits the naughty children on Christmas Eve, as all breaks loose.

Although i enjoyed Michael Dougherty's film a lot more second time around it still feels poorly paced. The first forty minutes are excellent with superb character development as we get to know the highly dysfunctional family. The dialogue is excellent and i found myself chuckling more than once. For reference imagine the Griswold household in Christmas Vacation then imagine them turned up to 11. Toni Collette as Max's mum is brilliant.

It's the second half where things go awry. Dougherty throws everything at the screen, the Krampus obviously, demonic toys, sadistic ginger bread men, creepy dolls, killer elves...there's simply too much going on and although the films is at breakneck speed the characterisation levels come to a crushing halt and it all becomes so generic and lacking in tension. So much hits the screen that i can't even remember what happens to half the characters mere hours after viewing.