View Single Post
Old 14th January 2022, 12:00 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Beyond Darkness (1990)

Claudio Fragasso's wonderful little haunted house horror which sees a young family move into a new home and quickly finding out it's haunted by twenty ghostly witches who had been burnt at the stake in the grounds hundreds of years earlier.

Playing like some bizarre concoction of The Exorcist - theater producer David Brandon from Soavi's Stage Fright plays an alcoholic priest battling both the house's and his own demons - Poltergeist, The Beyond and Raimi's Evil Dead, Fragasso keeps the film rollocking along. Something happens in practically every scene even though you think you've seen it before in loads of other films, perhaps films without lead Gene Le Brock who is a dead ringer for Christian Bale.

The murky atmosphere really adds to proceedings as does the films unruly structure which really shouldn't work but as with the other Fragasso film i saw recently (Night Killer, from the same year) something about the director's throw everything that money will allow (Including proper actors) at the screen approach really works for me and as with Night Killer, i loved it. So much so that this was my second viewing in a fortnight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 39568_2_large.jpg (93.7 KB, 5 views)