View Single Post
Old 1st February 2022, 06:41 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
'In The Heat Of The Night' (1967) - 4K UHD pre-order available from Mino Lorber direct - $23.97

Release date: April 19

"This masterpiece from director Norman Jewison (The Thomas Crown Affair) is one of the most radical and acclaimed movies of its generation

Rod Steiger (A Fistful of Dynamite) gives an Oscar-winning performance as a sheriff from small-town Mississippi who finds himself in an uneasy alliance with a black homicide detective from Philadelphia — strikingly portrayed by Sidney Poitier (Lilies of the Field). In the course of investigating the crime, the two strong-willed men must reconcile their inherent prejudice towards each other. The final result is justice — and an unlikely but touching mutual respect.

Supporting performances by Warren Oates (Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia) and Lee Grant (The Landlord), an evocative score by Quincy Jones (The Getaway) and vivid cinematography by Haskell Wexler (The Conversation) all add to the film’s authentic aura of a hot summer evening in the Deep South

Winner of five Academy Awards including Best Picture for Walter Mirisch (The Great Escape), Best Adapted Screenplay for Stirling Silliphant (Charly) and Best Editing for Hal Ashby (The Cincinnati Kid), In the Heat of the Night is a blistering commentary on race relations and a landmark in entertainment."

Special features:
Disc 1 (4KHUD):
  • NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historians Steve Mitchell and Nathaniel Thompson with Robert Mirisch (Nephew of Walter Mirisch, and Son of the Mirisch Company Founder Harold Mirisch)
  • Audio Commentary by Director Norman Jewison, Cinematographer Haskell Wexler and Actors Rod Steiger and Lee Grant
  • 5.1 Surround & Original 2.0 Mono
  • Optional English Subtitles
  • Triple-Layer UHD100 Disc

Disc 2 (Blu-ray Bonus Features):
  • They Call Me Mister Tibbs! (1970) – The sequel to In the Heat of the Night, back in San Francisco, a high-priced call girl is murdered and Lieutenant Virgil Tibbs (Poitier) is on the case. Co-Starring Martin Landau and Barbara McNair and directed by Gordon Douglas.
  • The Organization (1971) – In this Tibbs/Poitier finale, Lieutenant Virgil Tibbs (Poitier) helps a group of idealistic vigilantes expose a drug ring controlled by powerful businessmen. Co-Starring Barbara McNair and Gerald S. O’Loughlin and directed by Don Medford.
  • Turning Up the Heat: Movie Making in the 60's
  • The Slap Heard Around the World
  • Quincy Jones: Breaking New Sound
  • Theatrical Trailers for In the Heat of the Night, They Call Me Mister Tibbs! and The Organization

Watched this last week on Criterion.
A timeless classic.
Let's hope it's one of KL's better 4k transfers.......

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.