View Single Post
Old 28th May 2022, 06:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
THE SADNESS – Wow, this one’s really going for the gore. I didn’t have any expectations when I went in, thinking “OK, another epidemic-y type zombie film – why don’t I have anything better to do?”, but I was quite surprised by what I saw. ‘The Sadness’ doesn’t say anything new or even, considering our post-pandemic slump, especially relevant, appearing content enough to take its place within the viral lunacy tradition and simply ladle on the offal. But blimey, were they serious about that offal-ladling. Some of the gore has a sleazy edge, one high point being a gross hospital orgy which relies on spilled blood and intestines by way of lubrication. After setting out such a splattery stall, the film does seem to pull back at points – come on guys, only an IMPLIED eye socket f*cking? But I’m not having a go, by and large this is pretty demented stuff, certainly for a flick considered streamable by the likes of Shudder. I would say that it’s a bit too long, and that the way it navigates between its splatter scenarios is a little stilted, with only a few recurring characters offering continuity – but in a film like this, that’s really not a problem. Hope it kickstarts a trend, it’s been fifteen, twenty years since horror movies were especially graphic. I prefer atmosphere these days, but even a hint of eye-related rogering is better than another jump scare.
This one i have pondered about watching on Shudder, but after this comment I will certainly check it out