View Single Post
Old 20th September 2022, 07:02 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
CRIMES OF THE FUTURE

Attachment 242239

Went to see this at the cinema last night, noticed it finally arrived locally so was right on it, never seen a Cronenberg film at the cinema and never thought he'd go back to his roots after his recent films, so was hyped for this.

I really enjoyed it, if enjoyed is the word for a film featuring the murder and autopsy of a young kid, tattooed internal organs, mutant body parts and sexy surgery.

It's kind of a Cronenberg compendium, mixing in so many of his subjects from his early sci-fi horror output, mutated organs, inanimate objects that are organic hybrids, surgery, tv screens and media manipulation, and underground organisations.

Attachment 242237

It's a slow moving, well acted, meditative piece that is heavy with intelligent dialogue and philosophical ideas, there's a lot of talk but i found it involving and fascinating. like a lot of Cronenberg films it moves at a slow steady pace building up atmosphere and mood.

I read some other peoples reviews when i got home and was digesting the film, norms seem to comment that it is building up to not much pay off, but that is the nature of a lot of Cronenberg films, like Naked Lunch, Dead Ringers, leaving us on a ponderous moment that leaves us thinking, rather than the excesses of Shivers, Scanners or the gun violence of Videodrome.

Indeed considering the plunge headfirst into the body that Crimes of the Future is there is hardly any actual splatter, Cronenberg views the body as complex, beautiful and fascinating but also disturbing.
Decay and pain is a big focus of the film with pain being almost a thing of the past, except for Viggo's character who uses the aforementioned Cronenbergian devices for pain relief.

Attachment 242238

Anyway there you go, I thought it was really good, and there's a fair bit of nudity thrown in which shows along with the subject matter that DC is still not afraid to bare his soul, it's just as f***ed up as Crash or Videodrome, the only thing that's changed are the censors and general public as it's just as controversial.
Easily my favourite film of his since Existenz.

8/10

Solid review nos. I think I was still in shock when I posted mine tbh

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]