View Single Post
Old 29th November 2022, 02:33 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

She Said (2022) ★★★★½

Based on the book of the same name by New York Times reporters Jodi Kantor and Megan Twohey, She Said follows Twohey and Kantor (Carey Mulligan and Zoe Kazan, respectively) as they investigate the rumours and accounts of Harvey Weinstein's harassment, bullying, and sexual assault against women.

The film unfolds a little like Spotlight and Dark Waters, two compelling films about real-life journalist-led investigations into serious criminality and the powerful cover-ups that perpetuated them. With this, the investigation – that began with Twohey and Kantor reporting the multiple allegations of sexual misconduct against Donald Trump in 2016 – is very difficult because so many women are either silenced by fear or the nondisclosure agreements (NDAs) they signed with Weinstein and Miramax, often for a financial settlement.

Maria Schrader handles the directing duties extremely well, allowing the two lead actors to flourish, inhabiting their roles with conviction, and I found myself becoming emotionally invested in their private and professional lives. Additionally, the film is exceptionally well paced by Schrader and editor Hansjörg Weißbrich, and Nicholas Britell's score is pitch perfect.

Because of the length and depth of the investigation, reflected in the 300+ page book, the adapted screenplay by Rebecca Lenkiewicz is very well structured and, while treating the audience as intelligent adults, does not become confusing with the huge numbers of names involved. I don't think it's lazy or dismissive to describe this as All the President's Men for the #MeToo movement.

Carey Mulligan and Zoe Kazan are both utterly convincing in the main roles and it helps to have a supporting cast including Patricia Clarkson, Andre Braugher, Jennifer Ehle, and Samantha Morton, with Ashley Judd and Gwyneth Paltrow appearing as themselves. (Although Paltrow doesn't appear, she reprises a phone conversation with Jodi Kantor.) Judd's bravery in reliving her experiences again is commendable.

Although the way the events concluded is fairly common knowledge, I was surprised by how much dramatic tension exists in the film – it's a compelling and occasionally gripping watch – and it should be a staple at next year's industry awards.

It's the first film I've seen at the cinema since February, 2020, when I went to watch Parasite!