View Single Post
Old 4th February 2023, 03:48 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Eight for Silver (2021)

Hugely enjoyable Gothic horror set in the late 1800's. Skillfully directed, written and filmed with some great performances by a cast of familiar faces.

It's all about the mood and atmosphere with spooky houses, fog bound woods, creepy scarecrows, oh and some very gruesome gore. It's refreshingly lacking in modern horror tropes and is more in line with 30's/40's Universal or Hammer horror especially in what it does with a classic monster.

Without giving too much away if you enjoyed films such as Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow or the Hughes bros From Hell then this might be up your street. It's so much up mine i'm looking at house prices.

It was originally titled and released at Sundance as Eight for Silver (It's correct British title) but was renamed as the less interesting The Cursed for it's US cinema release.
Think I'll take a shot at this now you've said all the above. I was initially interested, then put off by a load of quite 'meh' reviews. I'm easily swayed, even though I act all hard. At the end of the day though I'm more interested in atmosphere than anything else, so I'll gladly give it a chance.