View Single Post
Old 9th February 2023, 11:19 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Detention (2011)

As a copycat killer named after movie villain Cinderhella, stalks the student body at Grizzly Lake High School, a group of co-eds band together to survive while serving detention.

Sounds fairly formulaic. It isn't. Not by any stretch of the imagination. Take the plot of Scream 2, add some of Steven Moffatt's weirdest timey-wimey bollocks from Doctor Who and more movie satire than i think i've ever encountered in a film previously and you have Detention.

It really doesn't stop there. Add in dashes of Clueless, Heathers, Mean Girls, and a great big spoonful of The Breakfast Club topped off with a sprinkling of Saw II. and you might start to come close.

The film is probably the fastest paced bit of celluloid i can recall seeing. Jokes, gags and movie references fly at you so thick and fast it's impossible to catch them all in one sitting. You don't have time to laugh or dwell on each moment of humour as you'll miss the next one.

It's so insane at times it felt only a Wayans brother or an appearance from Carmen Electra away from the much derided Scary Movie series, and i do think that come the forty minute mark the film started to feel the weight of it's references and should have replaced it's wannabe cool 90's schtick for some actual story development, however the eagerness of it's relatively unknown cast keep it ticking over until the slasher movie begins for real and we get some great gore.

Detention won't be to everyone's tastes, but anyone with an unhealthy interest in Steven Seagal's fighting techniques and general movie geek insanity could do worse than checking it out.

Second time around and i really liked it all over again.

I had a look at the sole extra last night. An in vision director's chat track which throws even more bat shit crazy stuff at the screen as cast members pop up in their own little on screen boxes to talk about their characters, scribble stuff on the screen and generally bombard the viewer. Shit! As with the film you'd need to watch it five times to spot half the craziness.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg detention.jpg (92.1 KB, 4 views)