View Single Post
Old 28th December 2007, 01:26 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Strip Nude for your Killer is off the schedule for now as suddenly prices are shooting up well beyond realistic sales potential. Someone is overpaying out there!

We are going to end up putting out titles that hard core fans already own. One thing that's easy to forget as a fan (and I'm thinking about myself here!) is that we may well know what films are cool and have carefully collected imports over the years but an aim of Shameless was to bring some of these rarities to UK shelves for those who have forgotten about certain films they'd like, for those who fancy being able to go out and get their obscure horror fix that day from an HMV rather than waiting for an import order and then also for people who don't yet know they're about to become fans!

I got into Italian obscurities through crazy old video stores and built my knowledge that way. Now I'd actually argue that it could be harder for me to accidentally fall into the genre in this day and age. Yes now you can order these films on demand, there are sites galore heaving with fan expertise but you have to know to look, you have to start searching through import DVDs and you have to wait for your fix.

With Shameless we wanted to bring back some unexpected nastiness to the casual browser and once we've got some more of those yellow ****ers onto the shelves we hope to find some more people stumbling into the rabbit hole that is Shameless! Then all you fine devotees can start schooling the next generation on this website. The fact is if we can't grow a UK customer base we won't survive and neither will anyone else. I think UK DVD buying is a frighteningly bland experience - sanitised and low on risk - Shameless pollution is good! Out of all those kids trooping in to see horror remakes galore there have to be a few future Shameless fans in there...

I do remember when we 'launched' in February 2007 we had to shut down almost immediately. The BBFC advised us that few of our films would get through, we had fans in the industry tell us why bother because imports take care of fan needs and then retailers tell us that imports (that they can't sell!) take care of fans so from every angle possible we were told that we weren't wanted! I've always believed though that there are people out there in the UK bored of the slickness and that if we have some fun with Shameless then maybe it will shake things up a little bit.

So.... as I was saying we will end up releasing stuff you've already seen/got especially if they're cracking films and anyone who is willing to double dip gets lots of love from us! That said maybe we can cook up some must-own versions of favourites in the future. As for obscurities it's a lot more fun for us but very risky to do - if a retailer turns round and says they've never heard of it and want 12 copies for the whole of the UK then that's it - you're screwed because the funny thing is very few people buy their Shameless titles on the net. Phantom of Death has done ok, maybe Ratman can do the same and if so we can keep grubbing about for stuff you haven't got.

As for what's coming up that is very fluid for now but I'd say that Baba Yaga is likely to figure in Q2 and possibly Short Night of the Glass Dolls. I'd love to say more but there won't be any further advancement in negotiations until the new year so I actually don't know what we will and won't have.

I should though pop in and have another look at the wish list on this site though eh? Get people to pile in if there are titles missing and we'll see what's in the collection tin!