View Single Post
Old 15th March 2023, 11:58 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
It's strange that these old style war pictures don't get deluxe treatments the same as horror films. I seem to remember that in the day they were even more popular. Is it that the audience has simply died off?
These film were on the tv all the time when i was growing up or they seemed to be. I was introduced to war films and westerns by my folks.

I don't think they get the same exposure that they did. The same goes for horror from the same period as well. They've become lost a bit i think and it's collectors who will keep them alive. All ITV show is Bond and Harry Potter and the BBC seem to show a lot of modern films rather than any older ones. There are some on a t weekends and national holidays but not like it was in the 70's to 90's.

Now especially i think they are getting lost in a world of disposable tv series thanks to Netflix, Prime and Disney. Series that everyone will have forgotten about a year later (A week in many cases) never mind fifty years later.

Although i have a substantial war and western collection on dvd (Well over a hundred of each) i never planned on upgrading any. However now i feel very different now i know generally how good they look in HD thanks to being produced on excellent film stock at the time and shot in the real world rather than via green screen.

I'm excited to rewatch these films again. It's like a voyage of rediscovery.