View Single Post
Old 26th April 2023, 03:32 PM
Cult Master

Two new expanded, deluxe anniversary editions of 'Killer' and 'School's Out' have been announced

"NEWLY REMASTERED ALBUMS EXPANDED WITH RARITIES, AND PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED CONCERTS AVAILABLE ON JUNE 9

Alice Cooper was unstoppable during the 1970s when the band released four consecutive platinum albums and five Top 40 hits like 'I’m Eighteen,' 'School’s Out,' 'No More Mr. Nice Guy,' and 'Elected. Rhino will reissue two of those platinum albums – 'Killer' (1971) and 'School’s Out' (1972) – with newly remastered sound, rare recordings, and previously unreleased live performances.

Both Deluxe Editions will be released on June 9 as 2-CD sets and 3-LP versions on 180-gram vinyl

The vinyl versions for both Deluxe Edition recreate the original album sleeves down to the smallest detail. For Killer, that means a gatefold sleeve that opens to reveal a detachable 1972 calendar with a photo of Cooper in the gallows. The cover of School’s Out looks like a wooden school desk and opens to reveal the LP wrapped in a pair of panties. The band stopped including the underwear following a controversy as to whether or not they were flammable. Thankfully, the lacy unmentionables in the new Deluxe Edition are not a fire hazard.

Both sets come with booklets that include track-by-track commentary by band members and former Creem Magazine editor Jaan Uhelszki, plus liner notes by Bill Holdship, also a former Creem Magazine editor

KILLER (DELUXE EDITION) introduces a newly remastered version of the original release, which peaked at #21 on the Billboard albums chart. Along with the singles 'Under My Wheels' and 'Be My Lover,' the record also includes 'Yeah, Yeah, Yeah,' 'Desperado,' and the prog-rock-inspired epic 'Halo Of Flies.' The bonus material features alternate takes for 'You Drive Me Nervous,' 'Under My Wheels,' and 'Dead Babies'

The collection also gives fans an unreleased live recording of the band’s performance at Mar Y Sol Pop Festival in Puerto Rico on April 2, 1972. Recorded a few months before the band returned to the studio to make School’s Out, the show previews 'Public Animal #9' from the upcoming album. The band played most of Killer during the concert, including 'You Drive Me Nervous,' 'Under My Wheels,' and 'Halo Of Flies.' They also tapped the group’s 1971 album, Love It to Death, for live versions of 'Is It My Body?,' 'Long Way To Go,' and the smash hit 'I’m Eighteen'

SCHOOL’S OUT (DELUXE EDITION) begins with a newly remastered version of the 1972 original, which peaked at #2 on the albums chart. Essential tracks like 'Luney Tune' and 'Alma Mater' are joined by 'Gutter Cat vs. The Jets.' The latter is an homage to West Side Story, a significant influence on the band. The song incorporates lyrics from 'Jet Song' from the 1957 musical, which led to an unlikely songwriting credit for Leonard Bernstein and Stephen Sondheim on an Alice Cooper track

The Deluxe Edition contains rarities like the single versions of 'School’s Out' and 'Gutter Cat vs. The Jets.' Two previously unreleased tracks are also included, an alternate version of 'Alma Mater' and an early demo for 'Elected, a song that would appear in 1973 on the band’s first #1 album, 'Billion Dollar Babies'

Alice Cooper’s concert in Miami on May 27, 1972, adds even more unreleased music to the collection. The show was recorded a few weeks before the band entered the studio to record School’s Out. The live performance features standout versions of 'Halo Of Flies,' 'School’s Out,' and 'Yeah, Yeah, Yeah,' a song that gives Cooper a chance to show off his impressive harmonica skills"

As a taster for the releases, an unreleased version of 'Be My Love', recorded in Miami in 1972, has been made available

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty