Thread: Cat III
View Single Post
Old 28th December 2007, 06:25 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Yeah Bey is a good example of a fan turning his interests into a career. That reminds me - he said he was up for a trash label...

HKL were a, let me rephrase - THE definition of a UK label to be proud of and they certainly reawakened my love of Asian cinema. The costs though were incredible. You could be looking at a spend of £30k per title. Now when for instance a fine platinum edition of Wheels on Meals only sells in the hundreds (and distributors get increasingly little per unit sold) you can see it's no longer viable.

I would advise any company coming to me now against putting out Asian films in the UK for now. The market is saturated and the quality (especially from Hong Kong) is not great. MIA had a lot of success with CatIII titles but they're long gone and their cost base was pretty low.

Tastes change and fads come and go - there will be another era of Asian filmmaking to appreciate, Tony Jaa will have another film next year and I would have thought that one day the HKL catalogue will be revisited on hi-def but right now when blockbusters are sooooooooooooooo cheap to buy why should stores risk indie labels? It's tough - but fun trying!