View Single Post
Old 6th April 2010, 12:20 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The problem with all Romero zombie films is the comparison - maybe Dawn can be taken out of that list, as it just delivered on all sides and set the mark very high. I know how I had to let Day grow on me for a while, at firast I was rather disappointed as it did not deliver what I had expected (whatever that was - too many moons have passed since then...), but I always knew that it was a real gem and it grew bigger and bigger over time, especially helping was the hunt for an uncut copy of this banned film in Germany - I still have that first VHS copy from Holland I paid 89 DM for (approx 45 Euro - but keep in mind, the time that has passed and I did not have a lot of money back then!)...

Then came the endless feeling break and when Land was announced, of course was I happy about the fact, but I also knew to be careful with firing up the expectation - so I expected a good zombie film with a functioning sub-text and got that. The most trouble I had was with the tendency towards using CGI blood (I have to watch Land again to see if it had already been making out the most effects) - you have to know, I am a big fan of Savini's work and may be an old fashioned git anyway

Then came Diary and I took it as it was announced: A new start of the zombie theme, made in a fashion to reflect today's filmmaking - and it worked mostly and I also found the sub-text that underlined all of Romero's zombie films, shifting as well with time and the change of our real world - therefor, I like Diary and the very last scene may be one of George's strongest!

Now with Survival, I miss a lot, expectation was low but it still failed big time for me, it had many silly CGI effects, it lacked interesting or grappable characters (could be more fun at home on my FLAT-screen TV ) or ones you could sympathize with and most importantly it lacks any sub-text (at least I have not found anything hinting there is one!) making the film one of the heap of many - sad, really...

In my ranking I would put the films like this:

Dawn
Day
Night (although I am aware of its outstanding place in film history!)

<gap>

Land
Diary

<St. Andreas Fault>

Survival