Thread: Censorship
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2010, 05:26 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
It's a tricky one. And whilst I dislike animal cruelty I think the BBFC do the history of cinema a huge disservice by removing all evidence of it. The only reason we know that animals are treated humanely today is because we know how badly they were treated in the past.

As for equating it with child abuse, I disagree. Whilst it's not illegal to swiftly kill an animal, it's most certainly against the law to kill a child under any circumstances. Even the law recognises that violence to a child is far more serious than violence toward an animal, whatever your own personal view might be.
100% in agreement there!

As a non UK citizen, this is an odd but nonetheless fascinating debate to follow for me, but it actually is that "tampering with cinematic history" angle which I have sometimes wondered about myself when watching an "animal cruelty free" version on an "edited for the UK" R2 DVD of some title made over 30+ years ago.

Sometimes I appreciate an edit missing such bits- at the same time I know the likes of "Last Cannibal World" etc contain those controversial scenes in unedited form, so allowing just a "clean" version is basically kidding the audience about the true nature of the movie in question.