View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2010, 07:07 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

For example THE BAKER....

INT:BAKER'S SHOP DAY

The baker's shop is piled high with newly baked,flat loaves impressed with the face of the Sun God.
Howie is searching the shop,watched laconically by the baker,who is one of the six swordsmen we have previously seen in the courtyard of the inn.
Howie moves to the back of the shop and stops behind a huge iron door set in the wall.

HOWIE
What's in here?

BAKER
That's my oven.Would you be thinking I've toasted the little girl up in it?

HOWIE
Open it.

BAKER
I don't like opening my oven when she's cooling.

He moves to bar the way to his oven but Howie thrusts him aside and opens the oven.
Insert oven.Inside the oven is a long coffin shaped baking tin about seven feet in length.Howie stares at it for a long moment before reaching to remove it.
He burns his hands and is forced to look around for,find,and put on a pair of oven gloves.With their help he takes out the huge baking tin and lays it on a table.He removes the top to reveal the figure of John Barleycorn (a symbolical corn figure usually made from plaited sheaves)baked in bread and filling the tin.
The baker laughs.

HOWIE
What's this?

BAKER
The life of the fields--John Barleycorn.

HOWIE
(Furious)
I've warned you baker.If this girl is harmed,I'll have the lot of you.

We stay on the thoughtful face as Howie leaves the shop.

Now although we DO see the baker in the film and some of the above dialogue IS spoken.It would appear these scenes have been shortened,further adding credence to Lee's claims.

I don't doubt him for a minute.The Wicker Man was one of his favourite films and he's highly unlikely to forget or imagine these things.....

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.