View Single Post
Old 31st May 2010, 08:17 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by User1138 View Post
I think that the problem with Mother Of Tears was that the fans expected something special in the vein of Suspiria or Inferno. What they eventually got was something that may have worked as a stand alone film (with a few tweaks here and there) but not in the context of the trilogy. it probably also didn't help that audiences in Italy allegedyl laughed throughout the film.
The problem was that people expected him to make the exact same film he made 30 years ago and were unwilling or unable to accept that he's changed as an artist in that time. Why would making a film like Suspiria or Inferno (both very different films themselves) be interesting to him now? He's already done that. His goal with MOT was to bring the story into the real world and I think he succeeded. I'd argue that the long steadicam shot following Sarah's entrance into Mater Lacrimarum's dwelling, in and out of the shadows and through hints of light, shows that Argento is perfectly capable of duplicating his mid-late 70's style any time he wants to. But he doesn't want to. For that I think he should be applauded. If I want to watch Suspiria or Inferno, I'll pop one of them in. I'm happy to have something different. As to the audience laughing at it, well so be it. That's the way it goes with modern cinema audiences. Do you think a screening of Suspiria or Inferno today would be greeted any differently? I don't.

My favorite part of Inferno: the double murder accompanied by Verdi's Va Pensiero. Absolutely stunning work. For me, this sequence is the highlight of the trilogy.