View Single Post
Old 2nd June 2010, 07:26 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Thanks for resurrecting the artwork aspect of the closed thread Owls, as it is indeed interesting and definitely worth discussing! Also - I'm not going to mock at all, as I always enjoy reading other people's opinions.

My take on the new artwork at first was horror. Horror, in the fact that it didn't ring true with the essence of the film for me, but I certainly didn't hate it, and it has definitely grown on me since my first impressions too.

There are aspects of it that I don't like (in particular the font title font type: it looks like a seedy motel sign), but I think most people were more outraged by 'the ass', which I can live with. You ask "what's wrong with sexy?" - and I reply "nothing", but there is a very fine line between sexy and sleazy, and this one could be considered border-line sleazy by many.

I think the problems people have with the artwork are easily negated by the inclusion of the three alternative panels in this release: if you don't like it, you have other options. Also, it was designed to be an alternative and original artwork concept for the film and ticks all the necessary boxes in a merketing sense: vibrant colours, eye-catching imagery... , plus it does depict one of the key scenes in the movie, so is not there to paint a false picture; just a slightly fantasised one! All these points are great for catching consumer eyes and snagging sales. Whilst I personally prefer the alternative panels (growing up with skull art and all... ), if any of these, or a variation on them were used as the main cover, I believe they'd easily get lost amongst the other dreck lining the shelves of HMV sadly.

So, whilst I would of preferred a more gothic take on artwork with less sleaze and more substance, I've also been thinking about it more, and understand that Rick has created something completely fresh and original for Arrow, which no other release world-wide will possess; and love it or hate it these covers certainly get noticed and that I suppose, is the intention.