View Single Post
Old 5th June 2010, 02:23 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
Why would I feel guilt? I didn't harm the animal, so why should I feel ashamed?
As far as 'guilt' was concerned, I was speaking in general terms. But in an earlier post, you said:

As far as I'm concerned, censorship white-washes history and leaves these filmmakers with no sense of responsibility. This IS how films were once made - censoring it is to absolve the filmmakers of their guilt and achieves nothing.

As long as we know the material was once there, and that it has been removed, we don't need to retain images of animals suffering needlessly just to maintain the guilt of those responsible. It isn't necessary to see it, so long as we're informed of its removal. Doesn't that scenario maintain the historical record, without adding to the animals' indignity by putting its death throes on public display for the rest of eternity?

Quote:
For the more extreme instances of cruelty, I can understand it. That's why I think the BBFC should have a scale of seriousness.
The scale of abuse can't be quantified by how much suffering has been endured. Either the animal suffers for the sake of 'entertainment' or it doesn't. Whether it's kicked or tripped or slowly dissected alive for the benefit of a spurious 'dramatic effect' - ANY such behaviour is inhumane and cannot be justified. And that includes deliberate horse-trips which can cause massive damage to otherwise healthy animals.

Quote:
The point becomes even more absurd when they can pass Oldboy which features an unsimulated sequence of a man eating a live squid. That's right, he chews through this creature while it's alive, and obviously in incredible pain. But that's okay, say the BBFC. But not a cat eating a mouse.
One of the excuses I've heard for this scene (and it IS an excuse, not a justification) is that the eating of live octopus is frequently indulged in Korean restaurants and is viewed as a delicacy. If that's true, then I'm speechless. But the same kind of treatment is doled out to lobsters on a regular basis in UK restaurants, so we can't claim the moral high ground.

I don't dispute the lack of consistency applied by the BBFC, and your point about OLDBOY is very well taken.