View Single Post
Old 6th June 2010, 01:43 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
I reckon Diary Of The Dead is pretty damned good. It's not so far behind the original trilogy.

An excellent film IMO.

As for Survival Of The Dead, the "rival clans a-feudin'" was a comedy revival of a once common trope used in Westerns, but instead of sheep-men vs cattle-men fighting over territory we have kill-the-zombie vs train-the-zombie. I thought it was a superb and funny idea well executed.

The film is a Western, but set on an island, in modern day, with zombies! I wonder if people missed that? It's meant to be a funny retread of ancient Hollywood themes in a modern way.

Is Romero not allowed to make a comedy? Must all his zombie films be the same?
I completely agree with your sentiments on Diary; I really like [Rec] but found Diary to be a more intelligent zombie movie (I know [Rec] isn't strictly speaking a zombie movie as the people are infected but, what the hey!).

When watching Survival, I never thought of it as a comedy look on the old Western theme of territorial conflict as I was too busy trying to come to terms with the dreadful dialogue, non-existent characterisation and fairly poor direction. It certainly wasn't a Romero film that you can look back and say "That was something special" and I would guess that, in years time, people will watch it in the light of Romero's oeuvre and see if the weaker film it is, without the longevity of the more little known films like The Crazies, Season of the Witch and Knight Riders.